Studies in Vietnamese, Cantonese, Latin, German, English and Linguistics
- Doctoral dissertation, 1991.
- Research Course at European Science Foundations Summer School in
Computational Lexicography and Lexicology, Pisa, Italy 1988
- Scandinavian Research Course, Særøhus, Gothenburg, Sweden 1989
- National Research Course in Phonology, Hadeland, Norway 1993
- National Research Courses at Biri 1987 og Vatnahalsen 1988
- Course in Statistics for Linguists, Autumn 1994
Course in Library Classifying Systems, December 1992
Course in University Administration, January 1994
Research Adviser Course, January 1995
- Research Fellow at the University of Auckland, New Zealand 1977-1978, Studies and research in Polynesian Languages
- Research Fellow at the University of Bergen, Norway on the project Norwegian – Vietnamese Dictionary 1979-1983.
- Researcher Monolingual Norwegian Dictionary for foreign learners of Norwegian
- Research Fellow at The Department of Scandinavian Languages and Literature, University of Bergen, working with the Norwegian Word Register, 1993
- Consultant (terminologist) at the Norwegian Term Bank, 1984-1986
- Doctoral student in applied linguistics from 1986-1990.
- Post doc researcher on the machine translation project PONS 1991-1992
- Associate Professor of Linguistics at the Department of Linguistics and Phonetics, University of Bergen from 1992.
- Professor of Applied Linguistics at the Department of Linguistics, Literature and Aesthetic Studies, University of Bergen from 2005.
4. Scientific Activities
- Participation with papers on several European LSP Conferences.
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the 9th LSP Conference in Bergen 1993.
- Participation with papers on several symposia on the national project ”The North Sea as a Language Cultural Laboratory
- Participation with papers on several symposia on the Nordic project ”The Nordic Languages as Scintific Languages”.
- Participation on several Nord Term symposia with papers
- Participation on the Network on Intercultural Communication (NIC) Symposium on Intercultural
Communication and National Identity. Tartu, Estonia 1996.
- Organizer of dissertation seminars for PHD-students in linguistics and literature.
- Co-organizer of MONS11 (Meeting on the Norwegian Language), November 2005.
- Research student representative in the council for the Faculty of Art,
1988 og 1989.
- Assistant head of the Department of Linguistics and Phonetics, 1993 and 1994.
- Head of the Department of Linguistics and Phonetics, 1994 and 1995.
- Coordinator of master studies at the Section for Linguistic studies.
- Head of the Department of Linguistics and Comparative Literature, 1999-2002.
- Leader of the local and national research school in linguistics and philology.
- Member of the executive board for the research school in linguistics and philology.
c. Committee work
- Member of evaluation committee for appointment of research fellow at Department of Scandinavian Languages and Literature, University of Bergen.
- Member of evaluation committee for appointment for the appointment of researcher at HIT, University of Bergen.
- Leader of evaluation committee for appointment of associated professor at Section for Linguistic Studies, University of Bergen.
- Leader of evaluation committee for appointment of research fellow at the Research School in Linguistics and Philology, University of Bergen.
- Member of evaluation committee and opponent at Holger Lindberg Jørgensens ph.d. dissertation, Kolding, Denmark.
- Member of evaluation committee for appointment of professor of Swedish LSP at University of Vaasa, Finland.
5. Research Counselling
- Co- mentor for several ph.D. students, 3 students have so far defended their dissertations successfully.
- mentor for several master students.
6. Educational Experience
Educational experience from three departments:
1. Department of Scandinavian Languages and Literature: courses in LSP and terminology, courses in practical terminology work for terminologists at The Norwegian Term Bank, seminars in LSP texts and terminology for master students of linguistics and scandinavian languages. Lecturer in research courses in Vaasa and in Bergen.
2. English Department: courses in English syntax for graduate students of English.
3. Section for Linguistic Studies: courses on all levels of linguistics, including master and Ph.D. in the following areas: phonology, morphology, semantics, first language acquisition, language typology, linguistic classics, history of linguistics, New Zealand maori language, Vietnamese language, LSP and terminology, and philosophy of science, courses in Vietnamese language for Norwegian teachers.
- Guest lecturer in Kolding, Denmark and Vaasa, Finland.
- Invited lecturer at The Research School in Linguistics and Philology at the University of Bergen.